The Second Luminous Mystery
THE WEDDING OF CANA
Spiritual Fruit: Fidelity
- Jesus, His Mother and disciples were invited to a wedding in Cana.
- During the wedding feast the wine ran short.
- Mary turned to Jesus: "They have no wine."
- Jesus replied: "What would you have me do? My hour has not yet come."
- Mary said to the waiters: "Do whatever he tells you."
- There were six stone water jars, each holding fifteen to twenty gallons.
- Jesus bids the waiters to fill the jars with water, and then draw some out and take it to the chief steward.
- The chief steward said to the groom: "Every man serves the good wine first... but you have saved the good wine until now."
- At Mary’s request, Jesus worked His first miracle.
- By His presence, Christian marriage was raised to the dignity of a Sacrament.
The Third Luminous Mystery
THE PROCLAMATION OF THE KINGDOM
Spiritual Fruit: Desire for Holiness
- "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand."
- "My kingdom is not of this world."
- "Unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven."
- "Whoever does not accept the kingdom of God as a little child will not enter into it."
- "I have come to call sinners, not the just."
- "Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you."
- "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
- "Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied."
- "Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
- "You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church... I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven."
The Fourth Luminous Mystery
Spiritual Fruit: Spiritual Courage
- Jesus took Peter, James and John up a high mountain to pray.
- Jesus was transfigured before them.
- "His face became as dazzling as the sun, his clothes as radiant as light."
- This was to fortify their faith to withstand the coming tragedy of the Passion.
- Jesus foresaw the 'scandal of the cross,' and prepared them for it by this manifestation of His glory.
- Moses and Elias (representing the Law and the prophets of the Old Testament) were conversing with Jesus about His passion.
- "Do not think I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets... but to fulfill them."
- From a cloud came a voice: "This is my beloved Son, listen to Him."
- Jesus admonishes them not to tell the vision to anyone until the Son of Man rises from the dead.
- We too will behold the transfigured Jesus on the Last Day.
The Fifth Luminous Mystery
THE INSTITUTION OF THE EUCHARIST
Spiritual Fruit: Love of our Eucharistic Lord
- I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.
- Jesus took bread, blessed it: "Take and eat, this is My Body."
- Taking the wine: "This cup is the new covenant in my Blood, shed for you."
- At that eucharistic meal, Jesus celebrated the first Mass.
- At every Mass the sacrifice of Calvary is made present.
- At the Last Supper Jesus instituted the sacrament of Holy Orders to perpetuate this sacrifice.
- "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him."
- The Eucharist is a sacrifice inasmuch as it is offered up, and a sacrament inasmuch as it is received.
- In the Mass we offer ourselves to God, and God gives himself to us.
- The Mass will be fruitful in the measure of our surrender to the Father.